Sunday, January 13, 2013

Drop It Like Its Hot!

I made it through the week! *Doing a happy dance*

I have been impressed with my strength this week. I honestly didn't think I had it in me to resist the temptations from my no-no foods this week, BUT I DID! I have to tell you, it feels really good but I wont be celebrating too much. I heard somewhere that it takes 90 days to make something a permanent change and a way of life, so I guess I have a little ways to go. I will tell ya this, if I can do this you can too! I am one of the most wishy-washy people when it comes to sticking to a plan (especially diets) and I usually end up making an excuse for why it didn't work out for me when in reality it was just me not giving it 100%.

So, this week paid off mucho mucho! I re-took my measurements and was shocked. I actually took them three times before I actually believed the numbers were real and I didn't need to go to the eye doctor.

That being said....*Drum roll please!*

Weight as of the 13th= 234 (5.6 pounds lost since the 6th!)
Hips as of the 13th= 44.5 inches (2.5 inches lost since the 6th)
Waist as of the 13th= 42.5 inches (1.5 inches lost since the 6th)


Alright, so here's the tricky part. I really need your help friends! I need continuted encourgagement and prayers that I stay strong and don't give up. I also would LOVE tips like recipies. I find that I'm eating the same foods and its getting a little boring.

I plan on exercising more this week. I did some light stuff this past week, but I want to really start breaking a sweat and burning those calories this week. 

Thanks for following me on this journey--it's been super fun so far!

5 comments:

  1. Roasted Root Vegetables

    Serves 4

    15 Brussels sprouts

    1 rutabaga, peeled and large diced

    2 parsnips, peeled and sliced into coins

    1 fennel bulb, halved and cut into strips

    1 yellow onion, sliced into medium wedges

    8 cloves garlic, peeled

    2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

    2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar

    2 teaspoons sea salt

    Chopped parsley to garnish

    Truffle or walnut oil, if desired

    Procedure

    1.) Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

    2.) Prepare Brussels sprouts by washing, trimming off ends, and cutting in half.

    3.) Add all vegetables to a bowl, toss with oil, vinegar, and salt. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 45 minutes or until caramelized. Toss veggies every 10-15 minutes to prevent burning.

    4.) Remove from heat, toss with parsley, and drizzle with truffle or walnut oil, if desired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad

    Ingredients
    1 cup quinoa
    2 cups stock or water
    Pinch salt
    1Ž4 cup minced fresh mint
    1Ž4 cup minced fresh parsley
    1 cup diced cucumber
    1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
    2 scallions, thinly sliced
    2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1Ž4 cup lemon juice
    Salt

    Procedure
    1.) Place quinoa in fine-mesh strainer and rinse vigorously under cold water (this removes the outer coating that can make quinoa bitter). Drain and place quinoa in a medium saucepan. Add stock or water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and cook covered for about 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff quinoa. Spread quinoa on a baking sheet to cool. Once cool, put in mixing bowl.
    2.) Place all other ingredients in bowl with quinoa and combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. This salad can be served at room temperature or chilled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kale with Raisins and Pumpkin Seeds

    Ingredients
    1/3 cup raisins
    1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
    2 Tablespoons olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 red onion, diced
    1 large bunch dinosaur kale, chopped
    4 dashes balsamic vinegar
    Salt and pepper to taste

    Procedure
    1.) Place raisins in heat proof bowl. Bring a 1 cup of water to boil. Place boiling water over raisins to plump. After 10 minutes, drain raisins and set aside.
    2.) Meanwhile, toast pumpkin seeds. Heat a small, dry pan over medium heat. Place pumpkin seeds in pan and constantly shake and stir seeds to ensure even toasting. When you can smell the seeds and one or two of them "pop," they are done. Set aside.
    3.) In a large pan over medium heat, add oil and saute garlic and onion until soft. Add kale and saute until tender. If kale sticks to pan, add 1-2 Tablespoons water. Add raisins, half the pumpkin seeds, and vinegar. Toss all together. Serve, garnishing with other half of pumpkin seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm I love Kale and I love roasted root veggies. Yummy recipes. I think the trick is to keep the variety up. I'm struggling a bit too, Ashley. Last week with the wedding was a wash and am trying to start over. Mexican tonight-- rice and bean burritos. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The recipes sound wonderful, I love my fresh veggies and fruits!! You do need to change it up, salads once a day are pretty good during the week and on the weekends I more steamed or grilled veggies! One thing I will not and can not do without it my chocolate. I keep small chocolates in the freezer, this does take the edge off. I also have a weigh in buddy at work, we weigh in the PE room on Fridays. You are doing so great Ash, keep going and you will reach your goal!

    ReplyDelete